Brampton Library provides recreational reading and listening collections to retirement homes and other long-term care facilities for use by the residents. The collections are changed up to four times per year. For more information please contact us at 905-793-4636 ext. 4220 or TTY 1-866-959-9994.
CNIB Partners Programs
Brampton Library is a member of the Partners Program with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB). Through the Partners Program the library can provide free access to:
- CNIB’s circulating collection as well as Daisy audio book material at each branch location
- The CNIB Digital Library
- Access to Victor Classic Daisy Readers.
- Brampton Library will also be able to register individual customers to receive delivery of CNIB Library materials to their home or to the library.
Brampton Library has an extensive collection of audiovisual materials.
- Audio Books and music are available in all branches as well as through our Overdrive online digital collection
- Closed-captioned Films for persons who are deaf or have a hearing impairment. Text descriptions appear on screen of the dialogue, music and sound effects
Described videos and DVDs have a narrator describing the visual elements of the story (action, sets, etc.) without interfering with the dialogue. No producers are currently making or selling described movies separately these days. Instead, they are working with Hollywood studios to add description to mainstream DVDs.
Mainstream Movies with a Described Track
Media Access Group keeps track of mainstream movies and programs that have been released with a described narrative track in them. You can view this list of titles at www.describedmovies.org, and many of these movies are available in the Brampton Library's regular movie collection. When you get the DVD and put it in your player, you will need to find and turn on the described version among the special features of the movie.
Large Print Books
All library branches have collections of books in Large Print format with fiction and non-fiction titles. Large print Reader's Digests are also available for borrowing. Ask at any Information Desk for assistance in locating these materials.
Materials for Children with Disabilities