Interlibrary Loan Guidelines & FAQs
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILLO)?
Interlibrary Loan is a free service that allows Brampton Library cardholders to request an item from another library’s collection if that item is not findable in the Brampton Library catalogue, and therefore not available in the Brampton Library collection. For more information, see guidelines below.
How do I request an Interlibrary Loan (ILLO)?
- You must have a valid Brampton Library card to submit an Interlibrary Loan request. If you have never had a Brampton Library card, please click here to apply for an Online Library Card.
- Please check our catalogue here before submitting your Interlibrary Loan request.
- You can submit a request by filling out the form below as accurately as possible, contacting us by telephone during operating hours, or visiting one of our branches in person.
- If we are unable to fulfill an Interlibrary Loan Request, we may consider your request to purchase for our collection, as outlined in the Collection Management Policy. For titles published within the last twelve months please refer to the Suggest a Purchase Suggest a Purchase guidelines page.
What can I borrow?
We are able to borrow a wide range of materials that are not owned by Brampton Library. However, due to restrictions set by the owning library we are usually not able to borrow:
- Books published within the last 12 months
- Reference and other non-circulating materials
- Audiovisual items including DVDs, Blu-Ray, Music CDs and Games
- Magazines and Newspapers
- eBooks and eResources
Requests for material outside of the Province of Ontario will be considered on a case by case basis. Interlibrary Loan service is unavailable for requested items outside of Canada.
How long does it take?
It takes four weeks or longer for the item to arrive. We cannot guarantee fulfillment of request by a certain date. You will be notified by email or telephone when your request is ready for pick-up.
We ask that you pick up your Interlibrary Loan material as soon as possible, as we are responsible for getting the material back to the lending library in a timely manner.
How many items can I request?
Due to short loan periods and limited renewals customer requests are limited to five per month.
Can I renew an Interlibrary Loan item?
One term of renewal is permitted for items if the lending library agrees. However, items from University libraries are not renewable. Requests for renewal should be made at least seven days before the due date. Please make every effort to return your Interlibrary Loan material promptly.
What if I lose or damage an Interlibrary Loan item?
Loss or damage of Interlibrary Loan material will result in a replacement fee set by the lending library. The replacement fee may include replacement, processing, and service charges.
The collection of information on this form is subject to the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Personal Privacy Act. This information is used for library-related purposes only. Questions regarding the collection of this information should be directed to the Director, Community Engagement and Partnerships.