Family Literacy Day 2022 v2
Happy Family Literacy Day! In case you didn’t know, every year on January 27 families across Canada come together to read and play to promote literacy.
Want to instill the love of reading? Let your kids catch you reading! Don’t underestimate the value of your family seeing you read or starting dinner late because you can’t put down that book!
Here are five fun and easy ways to celebrate Family Literacy Day:
1. Read a book as a family that has been turned into a movie, then watch the movie. Talk about the differences and preferences. Which was better?
2. Plan a themed family reading night! Decorate the house in the theme and have every family member read the same type of book. As a treat, enjoy themed snacks!
3. Write a letter to a relative you haven't seen for a while, including drawings and photographs. You may not have been able to see them in some time!
4. Create a family scrapbook. Spend time talking about the different pictures and experiences you are including and leave pages open for new things you’d like to do together!
5. Visit one (or all!) of our story walks across Brampton!
On January 27, join @BramptonLibrary on Instagram Stories to share your family’s favourite read!
For families preparing their children for reading and writing, check out our Daily Literacy Calendars and 1000 Books Before Kindergarten, available to download or pick up from any Brampton Library branch.
Happy Family Literacy Day!