Welcome, brain builders!
What is early literacy?
It is everything children know about reading and writing before they can actually read and write.
Examples of early literacy in action:
- Scribbles on a page before a child learns to print.
- Playing with shapes — this is a pre-skill for identifying differences between letters of the alphabet.
- Babbling before a baby can speak.
- Reading together teaches children how a book works and that pictures and text have meaning.
What else can I do to build early literacy skills with my child/children?
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten: Parents can pick up or download from our website the tracking chart with a goal of reading 1000 books together before their child enters kindergarten.
- See our calendar to find Family Storytime at your closes branch (check out our calendar for details).
- Check out even more digital resources for kids!