Welcome to cloudLibrary! Choose from thousands of e-books and e-audiobooks for all ages and interests, free with your Brampton Library card. Borrow up to twenty (20) items at a time and benefit from a 21-day loan period with automatic returns and no late fees.
To register for a library card, click here.
Navigate this article
cloudLibrary can be accessed from any computer or mobile device through a web browser, or through the apps for iOS and Android.
To start using cloudLibrary on a computer
- Visit cloudLibrary in your web browser.
- Click the "Login" button in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Enter your library card and PIN, then click "Log In" to continue.
- You're all set! Start browsing or searching the collection to find your next great reading or listening experience.
To start using cloudLibrary on a smartphone or tablet
cloudLibrary has downloadable mobile apps available for the following:
- Android OS: Android Phones, Android Tablets
- iOS: iPad, iPhone, iPod touch
- NOOK OS: NOOK Tablets
- Fire OS: Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire HDX Tablets*
- Download the cloudLibrary app from the app store on your device (see links above).
- Once your download is complete, open the app and follow the prompts on your screen:
- Select your language, then tap the screen to continue.
- Tap "Select Country" and choose Canada. Tap "Select State/Region" and choose Ontario. Tap "Select Library" and choose Brampton Library. Click "Next" when you're ready to continue.
- Enter your library card and PIN, then click "Log In" to continue.
- You’re all set! Start browsing or searching the collection to find your next great reading or listening experience.
The older generation cloudLibrary desktop apps for Windows OS and Mac OS X apps will be phased out in early 2021. For downloading eBooks to an "e-ink" e-reader device (i.e., Kobo Clara, Libra, Nia, Forma and older models) we encourage you to use the process outlined below.
Before you begin, make sure you have Adobe Digital Editions installed on your computer: Click this link to install the latest version. For more information on how Adobe Digital Editions works, please see the FAQs.
- Visit cloudLibrary in your web browser and login (see above section for login instructions).
- Search for a book you want to read, then borrow.
- Once borrowed, the Book Details screen for your borrowed title will pop up. For books you've already borrowed, you can go to "My Books" and tap on the book cover to pull up the Book Details screen.
- Under the "Read/Return" button, you'll see "Download for offline reading." Click on the text link and the file will download onto your computer’s designated download folder.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions, and log in with your Adobe ID and password. If you don't have one, you will need to create one using the "Create an Adobe ID" link in the menu.
- Once in Adobe Digital Editions, click on "File" from the upper menu and choose "Add to Library."
- Navigate to the folder with your downloaded file. If nothing shows up when you search with File Explorer or Finder (Control + F on your keyboard), you may have to choose "Adobe Content Server Message" as the file type. When you find the file, open it.
- The book will now open in Adobe Digital Editions. To exit the reading view, you can click the "Library" button.
- Connect your e-reader to your computer. Once connected, you'll see your device name appear under "Devices" on the left menu in Adobe Digital Editions.
- With your cursor, select your e-book file(s) and drag and drop over your device name. The e-book will be copied to your device.
- You’re all set! Safely eject your e-reader before disconnecting the USB cable.
How many items can I check out in cloudLibrary?
Up to 20 items at a time. If you've reached your checkout limit, you can choose to return a title early in order to borrow a different title.
How many holds can I place in cloudLibrary at one time?
Up to 20 items at a time. If you've reached your holds limit, you can choose to remove your hold from a title in order to place a different title on hold.
How long can I borrow an item for in cloudLibrary?
Up to 21 days. After this time period, your item will automatically expire.
How do I renew a borrowed item in cloudLibrary?
If the item is eligible for renewal, a "Renew" button will appear for the item under "My Books" in the cloudLibrary web platform and mobile apps. An item that is on hold for another user is not eligible for renewal. In this case, if you want to borrow the item again, you will need to place a hold once your loan has expired.
Due to the nature of digital items, e-books and e-audiobooks borrowed from cloudLibrary cannot be renewed using the Brampton Library mobile app or catalog. Please use the cloudLibrary web platform or mobile apps for this activity.
How do I return a borrowed item in cloudLibrary?
In the cloudLibrary web platform or mobile app, go to "My Books" and click on the "Return" button for the item (located under the "Read" button).
Due to the nature of digital items, e-books and e-audiobooks borrowed from cloudLibrary cannot be returned using the Brampton Library mobile app or catalog. Please use the cloudLibrary web platform or mobile apps for this activity.
How do I suggest a title for purchase in cloudLibrary?
Can’t find what you're searching for? Let us know! To suggest e-books and e-audiobooks, we encourage you to submit your purchase suggestion through cloudLibrary in the following ways:
- In the cloudLibrary web platform, select the Menu (three lines) in the upper left corner of the screen. Click "Filters," then select "Suggest to Library." Now you can click ‘Browse’ under the Menu to see all titles available to suggest, or tap the "Search" field to search for a title. When you find a title, click on the "Suggest to Library" button.
- In the cloudLibrary mobile app, go to the "Browse" menu, select the "Suggestions for Library" view under "Filters," search for your title or browse under "All," and click on the "Suggest to Library" button.
When a title you suggested is purchased for the collection, it will come available for you to borrow just like a hold.
All purchase suggestions are evaluated according to the library's Collection Management Policy, including demand, quality, and budget. Brampton Library values your feedback and encourages you to suggest titles for purchase, however we regret that we are unable to purchase every item suggested.
How many title suggestions can I make?
Up to three (3) suggestions per month. Brampton Library values your feedback and encourages you to suggest titles for purchase, however due to a high volume of requests we are unable to increase the number of suggestions per month at this time.
Why do some titles disappear from cloudLibrary?
Brampton Library has partnered with public libraries across Ontario to form a cloudLinking consortium. Basically, cloudLinking allows participating libraries to pool e-book and e-audiobook collections together on cloudLibrary, providing a greater selection of titles and more "available now" copies to library cardholders. The reason why some titles may seem to disappear in cloudLibrary is because they belong to another library within the consortium and have been borrowed. These titles will reappear once they are returned and available to borrow again. All Brampton Library owned titles remain visible, borrowable, and holdable on cloudLibrary regardless of their availability status.
Visit cloudLibrary’s support site to learn more.
For further assistance, contact us.